The Square Peg

Embracing the mojo because cutting
corners seemed counter-productive.

I found a great quote at http://proudatheists.wordpress.com/ It said:

"The American brand of Christianity is unraveling while its hypocrisy is being weighed by the minds of our younger folks and discovering that questioning religious doctrine is a trait of human nature, not the voice of Satan."

I love this quote! And I totally see where the 'Cultural Christianity' I'm familiar with is unraveling because of its hypocrisy. Yet I seem to know a lot of people who aren't keen on the idea of their faith being discussed. That's really unfortunate because Ecclesiastes 7:18 says, "It’s best to stay in touch with both sides of an issue. A person who fears God deals responsibly with all of reality, not just a piece of it."

I don't think asking questions is bad; I think it's profitable. When I was growing up, I was told not to question things. This really bugged me because I wanted to understand why some things were the way they were. But there was no freedom to ask; only rules to follow. And rules without relationships often lead to rebellion. I'm proof of that. :)

I know some people think it's wrong to question things like religion and other 'hot topics,' but it seems that when people think questions are bad it's usually because they're afraid. Maybe they're afraid their faith isn't strong enough to stand up to the questions; maybe there's some other reason. But I believe questions aren't something we should fear. We should embrace them because they help us grow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, yeah! I love me some comments!

Subscribe