The Square Peg

Embracing the mojo because cutting
corners seemed counter-productive.

I knew that a song could jog your memory, sometimes taking you back in time, reminding you of where you were, who you were with, and what you were doing. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. :) And I knew that smells could do the same thing. Every time I smell Love's Baby Soft perfume, I'm suddenly back in junior high school goofing off with my friend Doug in class.

But today I learned that sound can have the same effect. It was our first time to swim without Mocha. I wasn't facing the pool when Moose jumped off the diving board and cannon-balled his way into the water. But right after I heard the first splash, it hit me square in the face as I waited for the second splash. Oh yeah, she's not here anymore.

Moving on isn't easy. It's a come-and-go sort of thing. I got misty-eyed earlier today and told Moose I missed his dog. He asked if I was sorry we hadn't waited until Monday like I originally wanted to. I told him I wasn't because it would've hurt next weekend the same as today. I wouldn't go backward but moving forward is tough.

Now, onto the 8's. It's coincidence that 3 of my recent posts have been about numbers; that's not the new theme of this blog.

Crazy Eights
8 Things I’m Looking Forward To:

  1. Watching Moose accept an award he's being given: "Warfighter of the Year". I don't know what it means, but it sounds really cool.
  2. August-when my BFF Cheryl & her family come to visit.
  3. Making gluten-free bread in the bread machine I just bought from a friend. It better be good.
  4. Getting this house organized & the doors painted.
  5. Hanging out with some of my girlfriends later this week.
  6. Washing all the laundry this week (and right after that, I'm gonna go volunteer to get a root canal w/o novacaine).
  7. Watching Tasha try out for So You Think You Can Dance
  8. Going to Starbucks to work on my book.

8 Things I Did Yesterday:

  1. Ate breakfast at Chick-fil-A with Tasha & Moose.
  2. Went to Travis & April's to hang out, drink coffee & eat Krispy Kreme donuts.
  3. Went to the Dollar Theater to watch 17 Again...again. Loved it as much the 2nd time as I did the first.
  4. Went to PetSmart to look at the dogs up for adoption. Saw an adorable Mastiff/Boxer mix who was the color of peanut butter with black flecks in her coat. Gorgeous!
  5. Took Zoe for a walk and noted how weird it felt not to have 2 dogs.
  6. Did the grocery shopping. They still had that creepy Andy Baldwin cut out at the end of one of the aisles. That thing's got to go.
  7. Read a book (not the whole thing).
  8. Got confirmation about something I've been suspecting a while.

8 Things I Wish I Could Do:

  1. Play the drums.
  2. Sing. Well.
  3. A back handspring.
  4. Play the piano.
  5. Learn to do the Shoulder Shiggey as well as Tasha.
  6. Learn Spanish. Again.
  7. Lose 50 pounds. Without having to work for it.
  8. Move to the northwest. Or overseas. Or to Alaska. Or anywhere that has 4 different seasons. I've been living in places that only have 2 seasons since 1993.

8 Shows I Watch:

  1. So You Think You Can Dance.
  2. LOST.
  3. Criminal Minds.
  4. Big Bang Theory.
  5. Fringe.
  6. Gary Unmarried.
  7. The Mentalist.
  8. The Ellen Show.

8 Favorite Fruits:

  1. Cherries.
  2. Blueberries.
  3. Raspberries.
  4. Blackberries.
  5. Pineapples.
  6. Strawberries.
  7. Kiwi
  8. Cantalope.

8 Places I’d Like To Travel:

  1. Spain.
  2. Australia.
  3. Germany.
  4. Italy.
  5. Scotland.
  6. Cruise around the world.
  7. Alaska.
  8. Fiji.

8 Places I’ve Lived:

  1. New York.
  2. California.
  3. Washington.
  4. Tennessee.
  5. Texas. Twice. Liked it both times. Except for the heat.
  6. Kentucky.
  7. North Carolina. Oh, God, please--never again.
  8. Georgia. Twice. Don't like the heat. Or the humidity.

Where next? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, yeah! I love me some comments!

Subscribe