The Square Peg

Embracing the mojo because cutting
corners seemed counter-productive.

I'm participating in a one word blog carnival and today's topic is "remember". Thanks to Peter Pollock for hosting.

When I hear the word 'remember', I don't think about lists to prevent me from forgetting items at the commissary (that's military-speak for 'grocery store'), where I left my keys, or that the dog needs a walk later. For some reason, when I hear the word 'remember' I think about where we came from, our backgrounds, and the feelings, relationships and circumstances that shape us and make us into who we are.

****I REMEMBER****
my grandfather and the #1 piece of marital advice he gave me over and over in his thick, rich, deep, Hungarian accent when he was alive. "Love each other, Evi, and don't fight." I remember the way he used to look at me. Not just glance at what I was wearing, or at my lips as I spoke so he could understand what American word I was saying, but the way he looked at me and how I could physically see his love for me on his face. He was taken as a political prisoner of war when the Russians invaded Hungary. He eventually escaped by cutting a fence with a pair of pliers only to find that while he was in prison his wife divorced him, took their daughter Eva, and left the country. It was because of his suggestion that I got my name. Mom wanted to name me something common like Stephanie or Nicole (no offense to readers whose name are Stephanie or Nicole) but he asked Mom if I could be called Eva. I'm glad she agreed because I love my name and its meaning suits me perfectly. It means 'life'.

****I REMEMBER****
the prisoners of war. If we can't find them and bring them home, the least we can do is remember them. All gave some, some gave all.

****I REMEMBER****
people need to be told they're loved and appreciated. We're all afraid of being forgotten, whether we'll admit it or not. Saying good-bye to friends goes with the territory of being a military wife, but I've become adept at showing people how I feel about them while I'm enjoying their friendship, not just when it's time to move to another base and the fun has to come to an end.

****I REMEMBER****
the people/things who affected change in my life.
**Like Lisa Riddle, who let me ask any and every question about homeschooling I could come up with when I started entertaining the idea of schooling Ryan at home. I probably drove her crazy, but she was a trooper. I educated our boys at home for their entire high school career and it was partly because she let me ask questions and ponder my beliefs about parenting, education, and responsibility.
**Like Mrs. Pruett, whose constant reminder throughout my senior year of high school of 'it's easier to keep up than to catch up" deeply influenced my schedule of housework, tasks in the workplace (back when I had a job that actually paid me for my organizational and management skills), and still helps me when organizing big projects and determining the importance of various tasks.
**Like my husband who is never, ever ungracious to people, even when they deserve it. He always takes the high road and never stoops to someone else's level. I love that.
**Like Rick Godwin whose book Training for Reigning helped me realize that little areas of faithfulness are big indicators of trust, responsibility, and character qualities as well as capacities. If you can't handle picking up trash in the church parking lot without getting an attitude, you'll never be able to lead that flock as their pastor. I'm just sayin'.
**Like Fred Rogers, whose children's TV show convinced me that I (as well as all others) really did have value. Laugh if you want, but I never hear the word 'neighbor' without thinking of Mr. Rogers, his sweater, and the shoes he changed into each day. In fact, the six-year-old next-door calls me "neighbor" because she can't remember my name. And every time she does, I smile - and remember Mr. Rogers.

****I REMEMBER****
God has crazy love for humanity and I need to share it wherever I go. And when circumstances look bleak and I'm starting to flip out, I remember He has a plan to work things out for good, and that He's never let me down--even though He has waited until the last minute to let me in on what He's doing a few times. I'm pretty sure that last part has something to do with developing patience in me, but that's another blog post for another day--or another blog carnival.

Peace.

8 comments:

Peter P said...

Wonderful post, Eva!

Thanks for joining the carnival!

I wish I could have met your grandfather, he sounds like a great man.

BTW, we're probably doing a carnival on patience in February. You can check out the proposed schedule here: http://blog.hafchurch.org/peter/index.php/proposed-bc-topics/

Anonymous said...

"God has crazy love for humanity and I need to share it wherever I go."

What wonderful words to live by, Eva.

Thank you!

Simple Home said...

Great memories Eva. I loved the part about your grandpa, your husband and Mr. Rogers. I really relate to the part about Lisa Riddle letting you ask any question you wanted, I had people like that when I started, one of them was Lori Cardoza. I wouldn't be homeschooling now if it weren't for some of these wonderful ladies. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Marcia

Helen said...

My dad was Hungarian.
The Hungarian accent is like a lullabye, isn't it?

Eva M. said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Helen, yes, it is, which I know probably sounds strange since it's such a guttural language. LOL

Bernadette Pabon ,Teacher, Director of CCD, Author said...

I enjoy reading your blog. Yes how true that remembering can tell us where we were and where we are going. For remembering the past brings us to the future. You wrote beautifully,

God bless you,

Eva M. said...

Thank you very much, Bernadette. =)

Anonymous said...

You were blessed with very special grandparents Eva. My memories of them make me smile.

God's love still amazes me.

I enjoyed reading your post today.

Aunt Denise

Post a Comment

Oh, yeah! I love me some comments!

Subscribe