The Square Peg

Embracing the mojo because cutting
corners seemed counter-productive.

I was listening to Carrie Underwood's cover of Home, Sweet Home today and thinking that her voice is so pure and clear. I know studios typically 'tweak' voices when recordings are edited and all that, but she sounds pretty much the same as she did when she was on American Idol.

And then I thought about a few of the times I've heard God's voice and how clear and unmistakable it was:

  • Like the time I was thanking Him for letting me survive my first marriage (it was violent), showing Ryan and me such amazing grace, bringing Moose into our lives, and for giving us an incredible testimony about His work and He interrupted me and said "that's my story for you, Eva; I have a whole different story for Ryan to tell about Me". 
  • And the time I left my wedding ring in the ladies bathroom at the base hospital and spent a week calling every clinic in the place asking if it was turned in only to be told it wasn't. Four months later I was leaving the hospital after another appointment and heard "go into the eye clinic across from the ladies bathroom and ask the girl at the desk about your ring." I wrestled with a million thoughts as I walked down that hallway toward the eye clinic. Turned out that gal had my ring all four months. She was getting off work a few minutes later and I followed her to her dorm to get it.
  •  Then there was the time I'd bought a gift for Ryan that was to be given at a Christmas party. I had asked him to do something for me that was completely unrelated, but he didn't really want to do it. He asked if he'd still get the gift if he didn't do as I requested. I responded, "Ryan, you're going to love what I got you and I'm giving it to you regardless of your behavior; my gifts don't hinge on your actions." Ryan said "OK" and walked back to his room. And I distinctly heard God say, "And that's how it is with my love, Eva. It never hinges on behavior."
After going over those instances in my mind and recalling the time I've spent worrying about how God was going to answer questions and work stuff out in my life, it's pretty clear it was all for nothing. After all, He did say I'd know His voice (see John 10). He didn't lie.

Peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, yeah! I love me some comments!

Subscribe