The Square Peg

Embracing the mojo because cutting
corners seemed counter-productive.

What an incredible day! Good coffee, great weather, and lots of fun!

Communion with coffee & donuts was pretty cool. And the sugar was a good fuel boost for the climb.
I wondered on the way to Stone Mountain how long it would take us to get to the top, but after getting out of the car and feeling so small against its sheer size, I figured we'd be doing well just to make it all the way up. We weren't far on the trail when Moose, Drew & Tasha each stumbled within a few minutes of each other.




The view from the top was hazy, but spectacular.


We wondered if the H marked a helicopter landing pad, or the portal entrance to Hell.


Going down was as challenging as going up. I commented as we started our descent that whereas they'd only stumbled and didn't fall, I'd actually fall and walk out of the park with a skinned knee. And about halfway down my left foot slipped on a wet rock, my right knee buckled, and I landed on it.

Beautiful, isn't it? :-)

Stone Mountain info - The top of the mountain is 1,683 feet above sea level. Carving depicts three Southern heroes of the Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Carved area covers three acres, is recessed 42 feet into the mountain and situated 400 feet above the surrounding ground.

For your reading pleasure, I am enclosing bits and pieces of some of our conversations today. Enjoy~

We reached a level area on the way up and paused to enjoy the view.
Brian: "Oh, good Kodak moment."
Drew: "There are no bears here, Dad."
A little while later we reached another nice viewing area and Drew hollered "Kojak moment!" How does he even know who Kojak is?

Tasha (3/4 of the way up the mountain & breathing heavily): "Gosh, this is kind of taxing on my respiratory system."
Drew: "Yeah, it's hard on my reservoir system, too."

Tasha (to Brian regarding his hiking boots): "Are those steel-toed boots?"
Drew: "No, his toes move sometimes."

Drew (dodging a very large mosquito): "Holy crap! That wasn't a mosquito; it was an Apache helicopter!"

Hope you had a good Easter, too!
Peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, yeah! I love me some comments!

Subscribe